What’s better than a batch of big black & white cookies? A batch with extra Halloween color, and some CBD chill! Each of these bad boys delivers a half-serving of Caliper CBD, in a soft, sweet package. If you like your cookies thick and cakey, use sour cream; if you prefer them thinner and crisper, use buttermilk (they’ll spread a little more, to 4-5 inches). For grown-up trick-or-treating, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, New York deli style.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 (20mg) packets Caliper CBD dissolvable powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or buttermilk (see note)
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- ¼ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- A few drops of orange food coloring (or equal parts yellow and red food coloring)
- Place oven racks in the upper and middle positions; preheat the oven to 350℉. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, Caliper, and vanilla and lemon extracts, and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the sour cream or buttermilk, beating just until combined and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Using a greased 3-tablespoon cookie scoop, drop dough onto the prepared baking sheets, 3 inches apart. Flatten tops slightly with the wet bottom of a measuring cup. Bake, rotating the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking time, until cookies are lightly browned at the edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the icing, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, ⅓ cup of the milk, the corn syrup, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Remove 2 half-cups of the mixture, transferring each to a smaller bowl. Whisk the cocoa and the remaining tablespoon milk into the original mixture until smooth.
- Stir in a few drops of orange food coloring into one of the smaller icing bowls and blend well.
- With a small icing spatula or butter knife, spread the white icing over one half of the flat (bottom) side of 6 cookies. Spread the orange icing over one half of the flat side of 6 more cookies. Cover the other halves of the cookies with the chocolate icing. Let the cookies stand until icing sets, at least 30 minutes. Store up to 5 days in an airtight container in a single layer.