When looking for a CBD product, you might come across some that are labeled “water-soluble” or “dissolvable.” Choosing CBD that’s made to dissolve in water gives you lots of options in taking it, and it may even help ensure that your body will absorb the CBD better. Here’s everything you need to know about water-soluble CBD—and the most important things to look for when you buy.
Why is Water-Soluble CBD Important?
It all comes down to chemistry. Cannabidiol (CBD), extracted from hemp, is a cannabinoid—one of more than 100 compounds unique to the cannabis family of plants. (Just for background, CBD is different from tetrahydrocannabinol [THC]—another cannabinoid that’s responsible for the “high” in cannabis. CBD is non-psychoactive and will not get you high.)
Cannabinoids are lipophilic (literally, “fat-friendly”); they dissolve best in fats or oils. That’s why CBD oils and tinctures are usually made with “carrier” oils like MCT or coconut oil, and why recipes involving cannabinoids usually require you to blend them with something fatty, like oil or butter.
(Want proof? Stir some CBD oil into your tea or coffee. It will float to the top and leave an “oil slick” on the sides of the cup.)
Problem is, our bodies are mostly water—and, because oil and water don’t mix. Our bodies don’t absorb standard CBD oils well. By some estimates, when you ingest an oil-based CBD product, you might only absorb as little as 6% of the CBD it contains! That’s “wasting” as much as 94% of the CBD you expected (and paid for)!
(To help you visualize this, think about all that CBD oil that’s sticking to the side of your cup, instead of getting to your stomach.)
Think about all that CBD oil that’s sticking to the side of your cup, instead of getting to your stomach.
How water-soluble CBD is made
Some CBD brands have found ways to improve CBD absorption by making it more bioavailable—that is, better able to have an effect in the body. They process CBD to fine particles and emulsify them, transforming them to a more water-friendly, more absorbable form. With these water-soluble CBD products, you’ll likely absorb more CBD than you would when you take an oil-based CBD product.
Caliper CBD powder is made using this state-of-the art technology for water-solubility. A tasteless, calorie-free and quickly-dissolving CBD powder, it mixes easily with any food and dissolves into any liquid, quickly and invisibly.
Because it’s highly water-soluble, Caliper CBD powder is more quickly and reliably absorbed in the body than oil-based CBD. In fact, a recent Colorado State University study, conducted using human subjects, found that water-soluble Caliper CBD dissolvable powder was absorbed 4.5 times better than oil-based CBD, and reached peak blood concentrations in less than an hour.
Simply put, there’s now clinical proof that when you choose water-soluble Caliper CBD powder over CBD oils, you’ll absorb more CBD. That means you’ll get more of what you paid for!
How to use water-soluble CBD
You can take water-soluble CBD in all kinds of forms, from gummies and other edibles to elixirs, tinctures, capsules, sprays, and powders. While they vary in quality, price and flavor, as well as in the convenience of taking them, all are designed to provide CBD in a more bioavailable form. If you’re looking for a form that gives you the most flexibility with your lifestyle, soluble CBD powder is a great choice, as you can mix it into anything from coffee and smoothies to your morning oatmeal or a batch of cookies.
Looking for a CBD that gives you the most flexibility with your lifestyle? Soluble CBD powder is a great choice.
And, when it comes to CBD powders, Caliper CBD dissolvable powder gives you even more options to integrate high-quality CBD into your daily routine. With no flavors, calories or sweeteners, it’s a truly neutral addition to whatever you’re eating or drinking, with no difference in taste or texture. You can even sprinkle it into a glass of water!
5 things to Look For in Water-Soluble CBD
Keep these points in mind to select the water-soluble CBD product that’s right for you.
1. Is the dose per serving clear? Be sure to read the label before buying any CBD product, and confirm that the precise amount of CBD per serving is clearly spelled out. “X milligrams of hemp extract” isn’t enough, as it doesn’t tell you how much CBD the hemp extract contains. Otherwise, how do you truly know what you’re getting?
2. Is your CBD tested for quality and purity? To ensure the highest safety and quality, look for brands that only use U.S. grown hemp, with certification that they have been third-party tested for pesticide residues, heavy metals or microbial contaminants.
3. Are there added sugars in your CBD? Sweeteners and other flavorings are often added to help mask CBD’s naturally bitter flavors. If you’re planning to take CBD regularly for everyday wellness, the calories in a CBD product can quickly add up! Remember, even “natural” sweeteners like honey, evaporated cane juice, barley malt, or coconut sugar are still processed by your body as sugary calories. If your product is labeled “sugar-free,” make sure it doesn’t contain any sweeteners you’re not comfortable with, such as aspartame.
4. Is your CBD easy to carry and use? It can be awkward to measure out an accurate dose with a CBD tincture or elixir dropper bottle, or to scoop out a precise amount of a CBD powder. And, if you’re planning to take your CBD on the go—say, at work, or on a hike—consider if you can easily bring it along with you. Can you fit that CBD jar in your purse? Will your gummies melt if you leave them by a sunny window? Will your tincture freeze in your backpack on a ski trip?
Caliper CBD makes taking CBD a breeze. The single-serving 20 mg packets are even smaller than a sugar packet, so they’re easy to take anywhere. Instead of dealing with measuring scoops or droppers, you can just tear and sprinkle, for a precise 20 mg amount of CBD every time. Caliper dissolvable CBD powder also stands up to heat without melting, and withstands freezing temperatures without hardening.
5. How much does your CBD cost? Lastly, consider the price of your water-soluble CBD products, as CBD prices can be all over the map. When comparing, be sure to calculate the price by the number of milligrams of CBD the product provides, not just the units. For example, 5 mg CBD gummies priced at $1 apiece sounds like a better deal than a powder that costs $2 per 20 mg dose, but not if you need to take 4 gummies a day to get the same amount of CBD!
When you need a high-quality water-soluble CBD product that fits into your life, tasteless, calorie-free Caliper CBD dissolvable powder is truly the best way to consume CBD. It’s also convenient, with online ordering that ships to all 50 states. Give Caliper CBD a try today!